Norwegian Haddock, Leek and Cheddar Lasagne
This comforting recipe from Sophie Wyburd hits the sweet spot for fish pie and lasagne lovers. For the ultimate seafood lasagne, Sophie layers up a cheesy Norwegian haddock bechamel with buttery leeks, lasagne sheets and a vibrant herb salsa. Indulgent and totally delicious!
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and add the peppercorns. Bring to a gentle simmer, then turn off the heat and add the Norwegian haddock skin-side down. Leave to gently poach for about 4 minutes. Gently lift the haddock out of the pan with a slotted spoon and set both the fish and the milk aside for later.
- Slice leek finely and chop garlic. Place a large sauté pan over a medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the sliced leeks and cook gently for about 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the flour, stirring, and cook this out for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the fish poaching milk, whisking all the while until you have a smooth mixture before adding more. Once all the milk is added, bring the mixture to a boil for a couple of minutes to thicken. Add grated cheddar, 2/3 of the Parmesan and Dijon mustard.
- When the haddock is cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and flake the flesh. Add the haddock flakes to the sauce, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop dill, parsley and capers. Mix with olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl.
- To assemble, pour some cheesy haddock sauce into the base of a large oven proof dish, then layer up with lasagne sheets, more cheesy haddock sauce and salsa. Continue like this, finishing with a layer of pasta and a layer of sauce. Grate over the last 20g of Parmesan, then bake in the oven for 30 minutes.