- Bring a pan of water to the boil, carefully add the eggs, simmer for 5 minutes, remove from the pan and sit in a bowl of iced water until cold. Carefully peel.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the potatoes and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender, drain well and mash.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan add the fish and cook gently for 3-4 minutes until tender. Mash with a fork so that it shreds.
- Combine with the potato, stir in the chives and season to taste – you may not need much salt.
- Wrap the fish mix round each egg, and chill for an hour to firm up.
- Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Dip each coated egg into the flour then the beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil to 175C in a fryer or deep pan (don’t fill it more than half full). Add the eggs carefully into the oil – you may not be able to cook 4 at once – and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden all over. Drain on kitchen paper.
Make these snack size by using 12 quail eggs, boiled for 2 ½ minutes, instead of 4 hen eggs and once coated deep fry for only 3 minutes.