- Mix the sugar, salt and rice vinegar in a small pan, and gently bring to a boil while stirring. The rice marinade is ready when the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Cool the marinade before use.
- Prepare the rice according to the sushi rice recipe, or follow the instructions on the package.
- Transfer the rice into a wide dish and gently fold in some of the marinade. Make sure the rice doesn’t get too moist, so add a little at a time.
- Set the rice to cool at room temperature.
- Start by cutting the fish fillet into a regular piece, and then cut it diagonally into 2-3 mm thin slices.
- Cut each scallop in half and cut each half almost all the way through so they can be folded out.
- Mix the water with a little rice vinegar, and lightly moisten your hands to prevent the rice from sticking.
- Take approx. 1 tbsp of the sushi rice, and use your hand to gently make an oval ball shaped like a grain of rice.
- Spread a little wasabi under a slice of fish or scallop and place over a ball of rice. Carefully press along the sides and on top so that the seafood and rice hold together.